Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Best Album of the Year?

While Jose is enjoying a "decadent" dinner at Bridges Restaurant and seeing his buddy Lebron play at the Q, I thought I would make a quick post before I meet my grandma for coffee. . .

Bring it Back, was finally released yesterday -- although, thanks to a few mp3 blogs (ahem, Kristi) many of us had access to it much earlier. When first listening to Bring it Back, I immediately was drawn in by the infectious energy and catchy melodies. Although very impressed early on, I was still slightly leery of becoming sick of the album from playing it out -- especially since I remember agreeing with something I once read, to paraphrase: "If Mates of State wasn't so damn annoying, they would be really good..."

Well, despite that harsh statement ringing true in the past, I can only say that Mates of State's Bring it Back has (without a doubt) become my favorite album of the year thus far. And, I am really looking forward to seeing them perform with Maria Taylor in a few weeks -- see tour dates here.

Bring it Back's
standout tracks:

[Mp3] Mates of State - Fraud in the 80's (repost)
[Mp3] Mates of State - What it Means

[Buy!]

[Mates of State: Official Website]

ps - you can be friends with Lebron on myspace like Jose, check it

2 comments:

Eric said...

You are not the first people that have said the new Mates album is a goodun. Perhaps there is something to this discussion?

Anonymous said...

Definitely. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the album catches on -- especially since it was only officially released a few days ago...