While Jose is hard at work on this frigid and snowy Saturday, I am relaxing and simply trying to stay warm. But lucky for me, I have Lily (pictured above as a puppy) to cuddle with as I watch The Craft for the umpteenth time. My sister and brother-in-law have placed their "child" in our hands throughout the next week while they vacation in Hawaii -- I cannot imagine a better time to escape this weather. . .those lucky bastards ;)
Anyhow, before Jose comes home, I was assigned the task of finding/choosing a good soup recipe to cook this evening while we stay indoors from this freaking cold.
My top choices (hmm):
1. Tomato-Tortilla Soup by Ellie Krieger
2. Hot and Sour Soup by Nigella Lawson
3. Broccoli-Leek Soup by Williams-Sonoma
While I attempt to make up my mind, I hope you enjoy the following Top Five Songs of the Week (and then some):
5. [Mp3] The Bird and the Bee - Don't Stop The Music (Rhianna cover) A low-key rendition showcasing Inara George's gentle vocals as they echo lightly. I can totally imagine this track being on one of those "Chill" compilations.
Just Because: The Bird and the Bee - Fucking Boyfriend I have always enjoyed the passive aggressive sass of these lyrics as well as its glitchy beats.
4. [Mp3] Blitzen Trapper - Furr There is something about this song's simplicity with its guitar strumming, tambourine jangling, and harmonica puffing that I find comforting. If you listen closely it almost sounds like coyotes howling in the distance.
Just Because: Blitzen Trapper - Futures & Folly If you are a fan of Brendan Benson and/or The Beatles circa Rubber Soul you'll enjoy this.
3. [Mp3] Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls There is no denying the powerful energy and swagger of this supremely infectious song. This song is going to be played everywhere (apparently already was on a recent episode of Gossip Girl), but I don't mind because it's that good.
Just Because: [Mp3] Franz Ferdinand - Walk Away (acoustic) Jose cannot sing, however he can carry this song's tune quite well.
2. [Mp3] Coconut Records - Wires After giving Davy a few listens, I have mixed feelings about this band's current release. However, this gem instantly caught my attention even though it is the second to last track on the album.
Just Because: [Mp3] Coconut Records - West Coast A guilty pleasure of a song that I never tire of. . .I picture Jason Schwartzman singing about Zooey Deschanel -- speaking of which, I wonder how he feels about Zooey's recent engagement to DCFC's Ben Gibbard??
1. [Mp3] Asobi Seksu - Layers Off their latest effort, Hush, this song exhibits melodies just as its title suggests: in layers. The overlapping of beautiful, varied and blurred instruments/vocals is what we've come to love and expect from this shoegaze-inspired band.
Just Because: [Mp3] Asobi Seksu - I'm Happy But You Don't Like Me Sung entirely in Japanese, I simply adore this song (which Jose happened to put on a mix cd for me over five years ago) that never fails to make me want to dance and sing along although I haven't a clue what the words mean.
Note: Definitely cannot neglect to mention what a pleasant surprise it was to have the opportunity speak with the owners of Indigo Imp last night :) We nearly ditched out on attending our local Heinen's Wine Tasting but since we had rsvped we felt bad not going -- we weren't really feeling the whole South African theme, but our eyes lit up upon seeing an Indigo Imp table displaying their beers. Needless to say, meeting and talking to the very cool husband-wife duo made us extremely happy we ventured out of our warm confines*