The below photo (taken awhile ago in "the library" at Touch) makes us think of the movie, Coffee & Cigarettes. This past week, we were discussing C&C, among other things, with Mel & CB @ The Broadway -- a great little dive bar that we had never been to, down the street from The Beachland. We hit up this place up at CB's recommendation after the awesome in-store performance from Frightened Rabbit @ Music Saves. Special thanks to Kevin & Melanie for bringing them to town and for the Labbatt's, which really hit the spot*
The past two Saturday's we have been busy attending weddings -- one was in town (University Heights) and the other was out of town (down in the Nati). On this particular Saturday, however, we do not have a wedding to attend, and for that matter pretty much nothing going on besides taking care of Kelly's sister's dog Lily. It feels great to be lazy and do nothing.
Later on, we are swinging by a house warming party in the Detroit Shoreway. That is all we got until watching The Browns tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow: Junot Diaz is coming back to Cleveland to do a reading and signing @ The Cleveland Public Library @ 2pm.
Since we did not get to to do a "true" Top 5 songs of the Week that last few weeks or so -- today, we are finally returning to form:
5. (mp3) Minus The Bear - Guns & Ammo This is their newest song off their awesome prog goes acoustic ep (only for sale at their shows or via digital download). They are coming to The Grog Shop on Monday with The New Year. This one is for you BloggingJason.
4. (mp3) Jamie Lidell - Out of My System (Amplive Remix Ft. Zumbi of Zion I) Who'd have thought that Jamie Lidell could cover Public Enemy? On this track he gives it his best and does a great job with his British white boy soul (I wish I could sing like this). This one is for you Taawd.
3. (mp3) Ane Brun - The Treehouse Song This talented singer/songwriter hails from Norway, a country seeming to churn out some awesome pop singer these days with the likes of Sondre Lerche, Kings of Convenience, Hanne Hukkelberg and Annie. On this track, Kelly feels Ane Brun is channeling Dolly Pardon and Tracy Chapman -- and for this reason, she is sending this song out to Sarah and Elizabeth who are coming to visit us in two weeks.
2. (mp3) That Ghost - Open Windows This "band" is just 18 year old Ryan Schmale from Santa Rosa, CA. At a very young age, he is extremely impressive, making beautiful, simple, elegant lo fi bedroom pop tunes. He is appearing at CMJ this year. We are dedicating this one to each other because we're suckers for stuff like this.
1. (mp3) Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson - Buriedfed On Thursday, Kelly is heading to Boston with her sister to visit our friend Jackie where they'll be seeing Lykke Li. This guy is opening for her. He is a singer songwriter originally from Portland and now of course resides in Brooklyn. Regardless, he is quite catchy, reminding us of Bon Iver, Connor Oberst, Modest Mouse, etc. This song goes out to Ben -- check it out, man.