Tuesday, September 25, 2007

American Gangster


Last week at work, while taking a break, I was reading on p-dork (Kelly thinks it is funny because I have constantly ridiculed that site yet continue to read it weekly) how Jay-Z is working on an album inspired by the film, American Gangster. Which stars Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe and is directed by Sir Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Alien, etc). Prior to reading this particular article on Pitchfork, I had never heard of the subject of the film, which is based on the true story of heroin dealer and bad-ass, Frank Lucas (who is considered the original "OG").

So naturally of course I looked up Frank Lucas on wikipedia and that led me to this interview, conducted originally in 2000, which inspired the movie. It is a very interesting story of how a boy from rural North Carolina came to Harlem and would become the most powerful heroin dealer in New York in the late 60 thru early 70's. He used to brag that he would make a million dollars per day while selling smack on the streets of New York. I normally do not get this excited about action movies (although I am sucker for gangster movies), but upon reading this interview, I already really want to see this film without ever having viewed its trailer until today.


American Gangster Trailer:




Bonus: (mp3) Jay Z - Heart Of The City (Ain't No Love)

No comments: